Nokia Unveiled N97 with Touch Screen and QWERTY Keyboard
It is official, today Nokia announces the device that it had kept in secret until hour before the official announcement. The new Nokia N97 is the next multimedia power house which has a large 3.5-inch touch screen, 32GB built in memory, QWERTY sliding keyboard, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, 5 megapixel Carl Zeiss camera module and also the 3.5mm headphone plug. With the microSD card slot you can also further expand the storage space to a max 48GB by adding a 16GB microSD card. The Nokia N97 will be sold at around 550 euros, or 693 USD in first half of 2009 next year.
- Network: WCDMA 900/1900/2100 (HSDPA), EGSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- User Interface:S60 5th Edition
- Dimensions:117.2 x 55.3 x 15.9 mm (L x W x H) *18.25 mm at camera area
- Weight:Approx. 150 g
- Display:3.5 inch TFT with up to 16 million colors (640×360 pixels)
- Battery: Nokia Battery BP-4L, 1500 mAh
- 32 GB on-board memory
- microSD memory card slot
- Video playback:MPEG-4 / SP and MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, up to 30 fps, up to VGA resolution
- RealVideo up to QCIF @ 30 fps
- Windows Media (WMV9) up to CIF @ 30 fps
- Flash Lite 3.0 / Flash Video in internet browser
- Music playback: MP3, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, WMA
- 5 megapixels camera (2584 x 1938 max)
- Video capture: MPEG-4 VGA (640 x 480) at up to 30 fps
- Flash: Dual LED camera flash and video light
- Talk time:Up to 320 min (3G), 400 min (GSM)
- Standby time:Up to 400 hrs (3G), 430 hrs (GSM)
- Video playback:Up to 4,5 hours (offline mode)
- Music playback:Up to 37 hours (offline mode)
- WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g with UPnP support
- Micro-USB connector
- 3.5mm stereo headphone plug and TV-out support (PAL/NTSC)
- Bluetooth wireless technology 2.0 with A2DP stereo audio, enhanced data rates (EDR)
- GPS receiver with support for assisted GPS (A-GPS)
Press release below:
Nokia today unveiled the Nokia N97, the world’s most advanced mobile computer, which will transform the way people connect to the Internet and to each other. Designed for the needs of Internet-savvy consumers, the Nokia N97 combines a large 3.5″ touch display with a full QWERTY keyboard, providing an ‘always open’ window to favorite social networking sites and Internet destinations. Nokia’s flagship Nseries device introduces leading technology – including multiple sensors, memory, processing power and connection speeds – for people to create a personal Internet and share their ‘social location.’
“From the desktop to the laptop and now to your pocket, the Nokia N97 is the most powerful, multi-sensory mobile computer in existence,” said Jonas Geust, Vice President, heading Nokia Nseries. “Together with the Ovi services announced today, the Nokia N97 mobile computer adjusts to the world around us, helping stay connected to the people and things that matter most. With the Nokia N97, Nseries leads the charge in helping to transform the Internet into your Internet”.
Sensing your ‘So-Lo’
The Nokia N97 introduces the concept of ‘social location’. With integrated A-GPS sensors and an electronic compass, the Nokia N97 mobile computer intuitively understands where it is. The Nokia N97 makes it easy to update social networks automatically with real-time information, giving approved friends the ability to update their ‘status’ and share their ‘social location’ as well as related pictures or videos.
Widescreen – Internet and entertainment
The home screen of the Nokia N97 mobile computer features the people, content and media that matter the most. Friends, social networks and news are available by simply touching the home screen. The 16:9 widescreen display can be fully personalized with frequently updated widgets of favorite web services and social networking sites. The Nokia N97 is also perfectly suited for browsing the web, streaming Flash videos or playing games. Both the physical QWERTY and virtual touch input ensure efficiency in blogging, chatting, posting, sending texts or emailing.
The Nokia N97 supports up to 48 GB of storage, including 32 GB of on-board memory, expandable with a 16 GB microSD card for music, media and more. This is complemented by excellent music capabilities, full support for the Nokia Music Store and continuous playback time of up to 1.5 days. The Nokia N97 also has a 5-Megapixel camera with high-quality Carl Zeiss optics, 16:9 and DVD quality video capture, and support for services like Share on Ovi for immediate sharing over HSDPA and WLAN.
The Nokia N97 is expected to begin shipping in the first half of 2009 at an estimated retail price of EUR 550 before taxes or subsidies.